Monday, December 20, 2010

Becoming a Butterfly

Here is a poem I wrote about how a person who tried to ruin me ended up giving me wings:

Like a caterpillar crawling,
Feeling oh so small
You treated me as nothing,
Laughing at my fall.
You were flying like a bird,
Picking at me with your beak.
"I am flawless," you would say,
"And you are not, but weak."

One would think it was enough,
Just to have the chance to fly;
But no, you needed even more.
You had to watch me die.

“You’re useless as a caterpillar,
You’ll never make it far.”
You tried to take control of me
But I learned who you really are.

Imprisoned by your words,
but not by my limitations;
I needed to break free from you
And your hateful provocations

While you continued with your games,
And with all that you had spoken,
I was determined not to crack;
Not to end up feeling broken.

I left behind your taunting
And your ever-present gloom
And surrounded by my loved ones,
I built a warm cocoon.

The transformation started
And the season, it was long;
And then, too late, you realized
That what you did was wrong.

So now instead of flying,
You've fallen to the ground.
And by the trap you set yourself,
You are forever bound.

Though you from when you met me
Never thought you’d see the day;
I’ve learned how to build my wings,
And now, I’ve flown away.

2 comments:

Wilcox Family said...

Very powerful poem .... How long did you write this poem?

mammaj said...

I wrote it about 6 months ago